Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Honey goes to Grandma's


When you are a special chicken who has divorced her flock and has chosen to live the (exotic if rather dangerous) life of a free bird...

Special arrangements must be made for you when your human protectors leave the farm for any length of time:

In this particular case, a visit to Grandma's was just the ticket. Roxy, my farm pup, acted as navigator and co-pilot (she knows this trip by heart!):

Upon reaching her destination, Honey immediately jumped out to determine grass quality:

She's not a light packer, this girl. She comes with a lot of baggage:

Honey wasn't entirely convinced she would enjoy the smaller roaming area and proceeded to fully explore her boundaries:

Fortunately, my step-dad made it his number one priority to ensure that Honey would, indeed, stay put in her new area. He made sure every hole and tempting escape point was properly sealed:

Roxy was very concerned that she, too, would be left to spend time in the new Honey-yard. See her at the far end of the run? Not happy:

I needn't have worried that Honey would have any problem with the new arrangement. After she performed her walk-around and confirmed that all her "necessaries" were where they should be:

She settled right in to her important daily task items of grass-eating and bug-catching:

...just like back at the farm.

And Roxy navigated me straight back home where we could get other things ready to go...:

24 comments:

  1. Honey and Roxy, both very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that Roxy helped you out with getting Honey to her B&B. Looks like everything worked out well.
    Did I miss something? Where are you going? How do you leave all the animals and go on trips? I would love to know how to do this.

    Good house sitters for a farm are far and few between.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a post. This should be a children's book! I've been having my own chicken integration issues, so I know what you've been going through. Glad things are working out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Honey the Wild Chicken. She must be a diva to pack that much! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha. Loved your post. Loved your story too. Wish I was there. I can see it, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG, I absolutely LOST IT when I saw the pick with the tiny suitcase. What a riot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are such a good chicken mom! I hope you are going somewhere fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. how cute! i hope honey enjoys her vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes special chooks (chickens) do deserve special treatment, she reminds me so much of my Hoppy.
    LiBBiE in Oz

    ReplyDelete
  10. Honey is, hands down, the coolest chicken EVER! You should take her on speaking engagements, or something. Seriously, that girl has some important lessons to teach and would be an instant hit.

    So.....where are you & Roxy goin'...?

    ReplyDelete
  11. How cute... echoing the children's book comment!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're an amazing critter-mom. You care for each of your critters as if they were your kids, they are so blessed to live at Critter Farm! I can't wait to hear where you're going which I'm sure will be future blog material.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh! Danni! Sophie is right! You need to write children's books about Honey the Chicken and her adventures!!! They would be such a hit! This was a really cute post! Can't wait to hear all about the trip! We're coming through your area late late tonight. I'll wave as we go past!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loved all your photos especially the one with Roxy's little face reflected in your car side mirror. I can almost feel the wind blowing on her. The little chicken suitcase was very cool too. Such adventures you and your critters have!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love stories about Honey. She is just such an individual, isn't she? I truly hope she enjoys her time with the grandparents. It sounds like they are all set to spoil her as much as any other grandchild.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Honey is not a light packer! After all that was there room left for her toiletries bag in that suitcase? :)

    The picture of Roxy standing at the far end of the yard was kind of sad. I was happy to see her smiling face showing you the way back home though!

    I bet honey is enjoying her visit with Grandma - and I bet she'll have lots to cluck about when you get home.

    ReplyDelete
  17. where are you off to and who is watching the rest of the critters? honey looks like she has found the best chicken sitter!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love Honey's travel necessities. Can't wait to see where you go! And I agree that there should be a book about Honey. People are publishing their own e-books now, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Really cute post. Yes, you should write a book about Honey the Chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a cute post! Honey is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I LOVE the chicken luggage! That is the cutest thing I've seen in awhile:) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ it when you leave a comment.