Sunday, February 16, 2014

Juicy farm gossip

Some say it's nothing to be taken seriously.

But chicken tongues are beginning to wag.


The girls of the flock, of course, have been gossiping about it for some time now.


Honey, my chicken-free-spirit, has been hanging out lately around the chicken coop. She hasn't done this in almost three years.  At first I thought she was considering reintegrating herself with the flock and I got really excited.








But then I realized, it's not necessarily the entire flock that she's interested in.

The other hens are none too pleased.



But rumor has it (and, as you can see, some tell-tale photographic evidence exists) that a certain yellow buff chicken and a certain studly rooster have been spending more time than usual together.


It's slowly becoming clear that they have a bit of a "thang" going on.


Honey does all sorts of flamboyant-chicken-things to try to impress Roopert.


I don't blame her a bit; he is awfully handsome.

Roopert, though, generally remains aloof and pretends not to notice.


Except for sometimes, when he thinks nobody is watching.  I caught this shot yesterday through my kitchen porch door. 


He is actually very attentive to her.  Where can all this lead?  We shall see.  Perhaps I should have titled this post: A Belated Valentine Tale?

(Roopert and Honey....sittin' in a tree...K-I-S-S-I-N-G)

19 comments:

  1. Glad to see you back. Have kept you & yours in my prayers. I get a little concerned when people just sort of drop off the face of the earth for a while. It is wonderful to see everyone. Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is so funny! you might have to get a larger coop for your porch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps this will impact the puny egg count?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You absolutley SLAY me! :) <3
    On the flip side of that, I find the animal behavior terribly interesting----that she sought him out and not vice versa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chicken tongues! Flamboyant-chicken-things! Roopert! Lol. I love this tale of chicken love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is better than one of those magazines in the checkout line at the grocery store!
    Just hope Roopert does not become disgruntled and take a swing at the pesky paparazza.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Postively scandalous, but it's so nice to see Honey getting out and about. Maybe you'll get a broody hen out of their affair.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay, I love me some gossip! Honey's story and move to the porch always fascinated me. Now I'm happy to see her getting around...and possibly ''getting some''? Will stay tuned. So glad you are back, Danni.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is one VERY healthy look in' flock! Just say in'.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh, my. she is one unusual hen. but they make a gorgeous couple.

    chook

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do love "barnyard" gossip. Don't forget to send out the birth announcements. Sure looks like LOVE to me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Roopert is quite handsome. Do you think she will lay her eggs in her little hacienda on your porch?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Danni,
    What a juicy love story! Amazing that you were able to capture it unfolding right before our very eyes! Thoroughly enjoyed it!
    Btw, I don't think I've seen such healthy gorgeous chickens! They are so fat and their combs are so red! I love how you take such good care of your critters!
    Hugs,
    Deb in Ks.

    Sent you my email address: ) holler if u don't receive.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this belated Valentine tale. Honey and Roopert are so cute huddled down and getting to know one another. Keep us informed. Oma Linda

    ReplyDelete
  15. Holy cow this is funny!! So interesting to see the hen behavior. I think we have a new mini series developing: Critterfarmgirl Coop. Or perhaps a new reality series: The Real Hens of Critterfarm.

    Keep us posted :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. A budding love story... how wonderful. Can't wait to see what developes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This story makes me smile. I think it is wonderful that you know your animals so well that you are aware of what is going on, but to document the happenings with photos is beyond cool. Your chickens look like they are well looked after and Roopert is very handsome indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Best Valentine story evah !!! ...Can't wait to to see the uncut version !!! Ha !!! Cheers Danni :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Honey is one smart chick! She knows what she wants and goes for it. Let those ol' biddies back in the hen house talk, you go girl! Roopert's a looker!

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ it when you leave a comment.