Thursday, July 24, 2008
Things to be aware of with donkeys (that I didn't know before I had donkeys)
1) There is true friendship among donkeys:
Sarah and Holly are a completely bonded pair:
They watch out for each other. I have never seen them more than a few feet apart:
2) Donkeys are very curious:
This curiosity makes them keen observers...:
...anxious to understand what's going on:
...which makes them quite certain that everything has something to do with them:
3) Like any human, they appreciate an afternoon nap:
4) One shouldn't clean hooves in gardening clogs. It hurts when you get stepped on:
5) When donkeys are peaceful and happy, they'll stand very still and do this mutual neck biting thing. Two donkeys will give small bites over and over to the other's neck, almost like they're scratching an itch for each other:
6) Yet, some donkeys, like people, just do not get along. They can have very intense personality conflicts:
7) Donkeys *love* to have the inside of their ears scratched. Their lower lip will wiggle and jiggle with pleasure:
My mom experienced this first-hand with Brownie:
8) I thought that "gelding" meant a male donkey would not be able to have sex. This is so not true. Not showing you a picture of this, though.
9) Jennets (female donkeys) go into heat every 23 to 26 days. Then they are in heat from 4 to 9 days. I don't think we need a picture here either. Suffice it to say that they drool a lot and do this unusual thing with their mouths.
10) Donkeys can have bad days and bad moods just like people. On those days, it's best not to clean their feet or try to teach them something new. Just leave them alone until they feel better.
11) Donkeys *love* to have their rear-ends scratched. My biggest donkey, Pistol, will follow me around and then "present" his huge butt to me (over and over), until I get the message and start scratching. Here's the butt:
Here's me scratching:
Ooops, I stopped. Here's the butt again:
And me scratching again:
12) Donkeys can get pushy if you feed them treats every time you see them. Treats should only be an occasional thing and when they least expect them:
13) Donkeys don't like coffee breath (mine).
14) Donkeys will try to convince you that they are completely miserable when forced to stay out in the rain:
15) Donkeys won't do anything they don't want to do. It's important to have good convincing skills:
16) I really had no idea I'd have so much fun.