I am the very proud momma to six baby chicks!
Allow me to introduce our new arrivals (handsome modeling hands courtesy of Aidan):
Two Silver-Laced Wyandottes:
Two Black Sex Link (a.k.a. Black Stars):
and my surprise of the day...
Two White Crested Black Polish (the Light Brahmas didn't hatch, so I took a leap of faith on a breed I know very little about. Daring or stupid? We shall see!) Look at their funny little puffball heads:
Learning to drink:
Sleeping, not dead:
On the drive home, there was quite a bit of bickering going on in the chick box, so I thought it was a good time, while I had a captive audience, to establish some ground rules:
1. No dying
2. No pecking our sisters in the eyes (not everyone has agreed to this yet)
3. No sleeping face first in the water
4. No eating the pine chip bedding (even with paper towels on top, they seem to be obsessed)
5. Drink lots of water every day
6. No dying! (this one's important enough to reiterate)
7. No turning into roosters
And here are my girls getting used to their new home. (Please note at least one of the house rules already being broken):
The cool chicks hang out by the thermometer:
Roxy is fascinated (I'm keeping a very close eye on her):
Another six arrive tomorrow!
Picture me, smiling *really* big right now. :-)